Research Assistant Professor
B.S., Chemistry, Yerevan State University, 2001
M.S., Chemistry, Yerevan State University, 2003
Ph.D., Chemistry, Yerevan State University, 2006
Office Address: 109A NSH
Office Phone: 574-631-6083
Khachatur Manukyan received his Ph.D. from Yerevan State University (YSU, Armenia) in 2006. He remained at YSU for several years as a lecturer and was also visiting scientists at the Institute of Chemical Physics, National Academy of Sciences (Armenia) before transferring to the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame. In 2012 he joined the Department of Physics at the University of Notre Dame as a Research Associate and then became a Research Assistant Professor.
Dr. Manukyan’s research interests are in rapid transformations occurring in reactive solutions and nanocomposites that store and release large amounts of energy and produce nanoscale materials for energy-related applications. He is interested in interactions of accelerated ions with nanostructured solid materials and the development of analytical methods for art forensics.
He has published nearly 60 research articles in these areas. Dr. Manukyan has organized professional meetings, and currently serves as editorial board member of International Journal of Self-propagating High-temperature Synthesis.
Khachatur Manukyan is a recipient of the Presidential Prize and the Gold Medal of Republic of Armenia in the Field of Natural Sciences (2009), a Fulbright Scholarship Award (2010), and a Best Electron Microscopy Publication Award of Notre Dame Integrated Imaging Facility (2013).
- K.V. Manukyan, C.E. Shuck, M.J. Cherukara, S. Rouvimov, D.Y. Kovalev, A. Strachan, A.S. Mukasyan “Exothermic Self-Sustained Waves with Amorphous Nickel” J. Phys. Chem. C, 120, pp 5827–5838 (2016).
- K. Gulyuz, G. Bollen, M. Brodeur, R. A. Bryce, K. Cooper, M. Eibach, C. Izzo, E. Kwan, K.V. Manukyan, D. J. Morrissey, O. Naviliat-Cuncic, M. Redshaw, R. Ringle, R. Sandler, S. Schwarz, C. S. Sumithrarachchi, A. A. Valverde, A. C. C. Villari “High Precision Determination of the β Decay QEC Value of C11 and Implications on the Tests of the Standard Model” Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 012501 (2016).
- K.V. Manukyan, W. Tan, R.J. deBoer, E.J. Stech, A. Aprahamian, M. Wiescher, S. Rouvimov, K.R. Overdeep, C.E. Shuck, T.P. Weihs, A.S. Mukasyan “Irradiation-Enhanced Reactivity of Multilayer Al/Ni Nanomaterials” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 7, 11272–11279 (2015).
- R.J. deBoer, D. W. Bardayan, J. Görres, P. J. LeBlanc, K.V. Manukyan, M. T. Moran, K. Smith, W. Tan, E. Uberseder, M. Wiescher, P. F. Bertone, A. E. Champagne, and M. S. Islam “Low energy scattering cross section ratios of 14N(p, p) 14N” Physical Review C, 91, 045804 (1-10) (2015).
- K.V. Manukyan, Y.-S. Chen, S. Rouvimov, P. Li, X. Li, S. Dong, X. Liu, J.K. Furdyna, A. Orlov, G.H. Bernstein, W. Porod, S. Roslyakov, A.S. Mukasyan “Ultra-small α-Fe2O3 Superparamagnetic Nanoparticles with High Magnetization Prepared by Template-Assisted Combustion Process” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 118, 16264–16271 (2014).
- K.V. Manukyan, A. Cross, S. Rouvimov, A.S. Mukasyan, J. Miller, E.E. Wolf “Low-Temperature Decomposition of Hydrous Hydrazine Over the FeNi/Cu Nanoparticles” Applied Catalysis A: General, 476, 47–53, (2014).
- K.V. Manukyan, A. Cross, S. Roslykov, A.S. Rogachev, E.E. Wolf, A.S. Mukasyan “Solution Combustion Synthesis of Nanocrystalline Metallic Materials: Mechanistic Studies” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117, 24417–24427 (2013).
- K.V. Manukyan, S. Rouvimov, E.E. Wolf, A.S. Mukasyan “Combustion Synthesis of Graphene Materials” Carbon 62, 302–311 (2013).
- K.V. Manukyan, Y.-C. Lin P.J. McGinn, A.S. Mukasyan “Microstructure-Reactivity Relationship of Ti+C Reactive Nanomaterials” Journal of Applied Physics 113, 024302 (2013) (10 pages).
- K.V. Manukyan, B.A. Mason, L.J. Groven, Y.-C. Lin, M. Cherukara, S.F. Son, A. Strachan, A.S. Mukasyan “Tailored Reactivity of Ni+Al Nanocomposites: Microstructural Correlations” Journal of Physical Chemistry C 116 21027–21038 (2012).