Application process is currently closed.
Thank you for your interest in our REU program! The application for our REU Program is administrated by the University of Notre Dame Graduate School. Their system allows us to have a completely electronic application. The actual process for applicants will be much like applying to Graduate School (good experience), although there may be some areas that are confusing or not related to applying to an REU program. The information provided below should help guide you through the system. Please read through the directions and use them as a guide as you fill in the application. If there are any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me so that I can help you!
- Once you have created an account you will need to click on the link Application for Admission to begin.
- If the question has an *asterisk next to it then you must provide an answer.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident to apply to the program. If you have funding from another source or your university please send an email to Dr. Umesh Garg (email@example.com) and explain your funding situation. Please do not continue with the application unless you are directed to submit it.
- Under Applicant Type please select Departmental Non-Degree.
- Under Admission Term you should select Summer 2013.
- In the Personal Information section do your best to fill that in, but you can skip the Family Information section.
- In the Test Score Information section you can click on Save & Continue without entering any information. These scores are not needed for this program.
- In the International Information section you can click on Save & Continue without entering any information.
- In the Planned Course of Study section, select Part Time and in answering “Program Applying to” select Physics REU from the dropdown box.
- In the Academic History section enter the colleges or universities you have attended. Transcripts are required. An unofficial copy of your transcript will be accepted and must be uploaded where it says upload document. If you are accepted into the program you will be asked to provide an official transcript.
- In the Additional Information section you can list Notre Dame University as School Number 1. The other three school sections can be left blank. The Headings Language and Financial Aid can both be left blank.
- In the Uploads section you will need to upload your statement of intent. The statement can cover some or all of the following:
- Information about you
- Why you are interested in an REU program
- Physics related experience (classes, computer training)
- Future (after graduation) plans
- This is a perfect platform for explaining any low grades or problems with grades.
- Where you heard about the Notre Dame REU Program and what appeals to you about our program specifically.
- These are suggestions. Your statement is your opportunity to provide more information about you!
- If you have a Curriculum Vitae or resume you can upload it in the Curriculum Vitae heading. If you do not have a Curriculum Vitae or resume you may simply upload a typed “CV not required.”
Two letters of recommendation are required. In place of the third recommendation letter you can just type your own name and use the email firstname.lastname@example.org. All recommendation letters must be electronic. If you do want to use three recommendation letters that is fine!
- SPECIAL NOTE: Please inform your recommender(s) that they will receive the electronic request from the ND Graduate School for the REU recommendation letter. It can be a little confusing – please reassure them that it is in fact for REU. They will be asked to upload their letter of recommendation – and to respond to a few questions. We ONLY require the letter of recommendation – if they would prefer not to answer the questions and make comments then they can choose “not apply” and put “n/a” in the comment boxes.
- There is not an application fee.
- Ready to apply? Please click on the link below: