University of Notre Dame's Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Program, which celebrated 30 years in 2016, provides opportunities for undergraduate physics majors to experience hands-on participation in research in many areas of physics. Students are granted stipends, university housing, and assistance with travel and food expenses. Basically, this means that if you are a rising junior or senior, you can come to Notre Dame and work with a professor for ten weeks. You will either help this professor with his or her work, or work on an experiment of your own. The REU program gives you valuable research experience, to help you decide if physics research is right for you. Students who are in those groups traditionally underrepresented in sciences (women, members of underrepresented minorities, and those with disabilities) are particularly urged to apply.The
Students will work closely with faculty and graduate students on a variety of current research projects. The summer program not only provides each student direct experience with a specific project but also provides important exposure to all areas of physics research.
The program is available only to physics majors who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. International students are only considered if financial support has been arranged through your university or another organization. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
2017 Program Details
- 10 week appointment for the summer—May 23 (arrival) to July 29 (departure)
- Round trip travel allowance to the University of Notre Dame
- $5,100 stipend plus free on-campus housing
- Weekly Physics lunch seminars and two Ethics seminars.
- Optional programming course and Physics GRE prep course offered.
- Excellent social engagment, including canoeing, day trips to local attractions and/or Chicago, movie nights, and frequent meals with peers.
- Description of Research Projects Available for REU 2017
2017 REU Application Deadline and Instructions
2017 Application Deadline: February 17, 2017
Click here to read the instructions before applying. The link to the 2017 Program Application is at the bottom of these instructions. Please follow the instructions carefully to ensure your application will be received.
The Physics REU sites directors will utilize a common deadline of March 3, 2017, for students to accept or decline first round offers at domestic (non-international) sites. Sites may send offers to students at any time before this, but students will not be required to decide before March 3. Because of necessary organizational lead time, international REU sites may require earlier acceptance dates.
Are you a University of Notre Dame Student?
REU photos, student research papers, and past program participants
- 2016 NSF/REU Student Research Papers (PDF file)
- 2015 NSF/REU Student Research Papers (PDF file)
- 2014 NSF/REU Student Research Papers (PDF file)
- 2013 NSF/REU Student Research Papers (PDF file)
- 2012 NSF/REU Student Research Papers (PDF file)
- 2011 NSF/REU Student Research Papers (PDF file)
- 2010 NSF/REU Student Research Papers (PDF file)
- ND Physics REU Participants from 1985 - 2015 (PDF file)
ND REU makes a difference in students' lives:
"I could not be happier with my decision of coming to the Notre Dame REU and I will be sure to spread the word of how fantastic my summer here has been! The research has, of course, been an invaluable experience, but the summer was also incredibly rewarding as I got to know such an amazing group of people from all across the country, learn about other schools from our inter-campus events/trips, and hear from the younger faculty members about their journey in academia."
--Taylor Hoyt, REU2015, Univ. of Texas-Austin
"I want to say again that my REU experience at ND was wonderful and it inspired me to apply to graduate school. I hope to keep in touch with you and the ND family.”
--Cesar Perez, REU2015, Florida International Univ.
Nell C. Collins, Administrative Assistant
Department of Physics, 225 NSH
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Phone: (574) 631-4086
Fax: (574) 631-5952