Experimental Nuclear Physics
B.A., Clark University, 1980
Ph.D., ibid., 1986
Address: NSH 183
Phone: (574-63)1-8120 – (574-63)1-7716
- Nuclear Science Laboratory
- Joint Institute of Nuclear Astrophysics
- Opportunities in Nuclear Astrophysics
…“we are all made of star stuff” is a quote from Carl Sagan to reflect the fact that each constituent atom of our bodies have been processed through many generations of stars, numerous supernova explosions, and/or thermonuclear reactions in binary star systems or the interiors of massive stars before they were ejected into space and eventually condensed to form us in our solar system. Nuclear reactions are the main engines that drive these processes. Nuclear decay lifetimes set the time-scales for the explosions, nuclear reactions determine how brightly a star glows, and the available nuclear fuel along with the weak interaction that can determine how long our sun will last.
My research focuses on the study of these nuclear structure effects (shapes, masses, decay lifetimes, and probabilities) and how they can influence stellar processes. This research is a part of the new NSF JINA (Joint Institute of Nuclear Astrophysics) frontier center to address the fate of nuclei under extreme conditions such as accretion disks of binary neutron star systems, or shock fronts of core collapse supernovae. The experiments are carried out by studying nuclei via radioactive ion beams at ND using the TWINSOL facility, the NSCL facility at MSU, the HRIBF facility at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and ATLAS at Argonne National Laboratory.
“Nuclear Astrophysics: a new era,” Physics World 33 (2002).
“Mass measurement of 80Y,”Phys. Rev. C 67, 034310 (2003).
“B(E2) values and the search for the critical point symmetry X(5) in 104Mo and 106Mo,” Phys. Rev. C 67, 054315 (2003).
Honors and Activities:
- Fellow of American Physical Society
- University of Notre Dame Presidential Award in 2003
- Member of DOE/NSF Nuclear Science Advisory Committee (NSAC)
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Fellow of the National Science Academy of the Republic of Armenia
- Armenia's Expert Advisory Committee 2011