Assistant Research Professor, Physics
- 210C Nieuwland Science Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
- +1 574-631-6083
Dr. Manukyan completed his Ph.D. at the Yerevan State University (YSU, Yerevan, Armenia), where he worked on rapid exothermic processes which produce nanoscale materials. He remained at YSU for several years as a lecturer. He was visiting scientists at the Institute of Chemical Physics, National Academy of Sciences (NSA, Armenia) before transferring to the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame. In 2013 Dr. Manukyan joined the Department of Physics as a Research Associate and then became a Research Assistant Professor.
Dr. Manukyan is a Research Assistant Professor working on crossroads of material science, chemistry, and physics. He is a member of the Nuclear Science Laboratory, Department of Physics at the University of Notre Dame. His work centers on investigating the different aspects of creating new materials for applications ranging from energy storage to nuclear astrophysics. Current research topics include materials for nuclear physics and energy applications. Dr. Manukyan is also actively investigating historical materials such as ancient alloys, cellulose fibers, and pigments in medieval manuscripts. He has published over 70 research articles in these areas.
Khachatur Manukyan is a recipient of the Presidential Prize and the Gold Medal of Republic of Armenia in the Field of Natural Sciences (2009), a Fulbright Scholarship Award (2010), and a Best Electron Microscopy Publication Award of Notre Dame Integrated Imaging Facility (2013). Dr. Manukyan has organized many professional meetings and currently serves as Editor of the International Journal of Self-propagating High-temperature Synthesis.
B.S., Chemistry, Yerevan State University, 2001
M.S., Chemistry, Yerevan State University, 2003
Ph.D., Chemistry, Yerevan State University, 2006
- A.S. Mukasyan, S. Roslyakov, J.M. Pauls, L.C. Gallington, T. Orlova, X. Liu, M. Dobrowolska, J.K. Furdyna, K.V. Manukyan, Nanoscale Metastable ε‑Fe3N Ferromagnetic Materials by Self-Sustained Reactions, Inorg. Chem., 58, 5583−5592 (2019).
- K.V. Manukyan, C. Fasano, A. Majumdar, G.F. Peaslee, M. Raddell, E. Stech, M. Wiescher, Surface Manipulation Techniques of Roman Denarii, Applied Surface Science, Applied Surface Science 493, 818-828 (2019).
- C. Xu, K.V. Manukyan, R.A Adams, V.G. Pol, P. Chen, A. Varma, One-step solution combustion synthesis of CuO/Cu2O/C anode for long cycle life Li-ion batteries, Carbon, 142, 51-59 (2019).
- K.V. Manukyan, J.M. Pauls, C.E Shuck, S. Rouvimov, A.S. Mukasyan, K. Nazaretyan, H. Chatilyan, S. Kharatyan, Kinetics and Mechanism of Ignition in Reactive Al/Ni Nanostructured Materials, J. Phys. Chem. C, 122, 27082–27092 (2018).
- M. T. Beason, J. M. Pauls, I. E. Gunduz, S. Rouvimov, K. V. Manukyan, K. Matouš, S. F. Son, and A. Mukasyan, Shock-induced reaction synthesis of cubic boron nitride, Appl. Phys. Lett. 112, 171903, 1-5 (2018)
- K. V. Manukyan, C. E. Shuck, M. J. Cherukara, S. Rouvimov, D. Y. Kovalev, A. Strachan, A. S. Mukasyan, Exothermic Self-Sustained Waves with Amorphous Nickel, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 120, 5827-5838 (2016)
- K. V. Manukyan, W. Tan, R. J. deBoer, E. J. Stech, A. Aprahamian, M. Wiescher, S. Rouvimov, K. R. Overdeep, C. E. Shuck, T. P. Weihs, A. S. Mukasyan, Irradiation-Enhanced Reactivity of Multilayer Al/Ni Nanomaterials, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 7, 11272-11279 (2015)
- K. V. Manukyan, Y.-S. Chen, S. Rouvimov, P. Li, X. Li, S. Dong, X. Liu, J. K. Furdyna, A. Orlov, G. H. Bernstein, W. Porod, S. Roslyakov, A. S. Mukasyan, Ultrasmall α-Fe2O3 Superparamagnetic Nanoparticles with High Magnetization Prepared by Template-Assisted Combustion Process, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 118, 16264-16271 (2014)
- K. V. Manukyan, A. Cross, S. Roslykov, A. S. Rogachev, E. E. Wolf, A. S. Mukasyan, Solution Combustion Synthesis of Nanocrystalline Metallic Materials: Mechanistic Studies, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117, 24417-24427 (2013)
- K. V. Manukyan, Y.-C. Lin P. J. McGinn, A. S. Mukasyan, Microstructure-Reactivity Relationship of Ti+C Reactive Nanomaterials, Journal of Applied Physics 113, 024302 (1-10) (2013)